Friday, March 11, 2011

I hate the wind

So as a general rule:  When you run in 20+ mph wind gusts for 14 miles, can you actually record your mileage as longer?  I mean, really.  I was in for grand illusions today on this morning's run on the River Trail.  Earlier this week I looked at the weather forecast and saw a little sun with a cloud so I figured, hey, looking pretty good.  I even saw a high of 40 degrees.  Sure beats running in the cold freezing drizzle Lisa, Sara and Michelle had to run in Wednesday, right?
Humph.  As I drove throughout DeWitt, playing taxi cab to my children and some others I collected along the way, I noticed the trees a-swaying.  And the flags a-whipping.  And the temperature?  30 degrees.  And the sunshine?  Nowhere to be found behind those dark, grey clouds. Did I even have anything to cover my ears?
Arriving at the trail,  Peg, Staci and I hesitated to get out of the shelter of my Acadia. With much trepidation we began our run, at times at a virtual stand still because of the wind.  And it seemed even when we turned around (thinking that wind would be pushing our behinds back to the car) the wind still whipped in our faces.  But, we got her done...even ran it at a pretty fair clip.  Probably because we wanted to get the blessed thing over and done with.  Our get that Bigby coffee we fantasized about for the last 7 miles...
And Bigby coffee in hand we came upon Deirdre at her halfway point in Dewitt.  I felt so sorry for her b/c she was at 7 miles and battling that stupid wind like we were.  Hopefully the GU and water we offered her gave her the jolt she needed to get her done too.
Good job ladies for 14 miles completed in the elements.  For some of us in freezing rain.  For some of us in gusting winds.  I don't know about you all, but I recording 16 miles for today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment